3.07.2014

Playing Dress-Up

One of my favorite childhood pastimes was playing dress-up.  I've always been a bit of a loner, and as a kid especially, I could spend hours entertaining myself with books and my own imagination.  


I'm outing myself as the big ol' nerd I am, but I used to imagine that I owned this fabulous fashion boutique, and I would create outfits out of my own closet and act out commercials in front of the mirror for this imagined boutique.  When you grew up working poor like I did, with this major love of fashion, fantasy helped compensate for what was lacking materially.

Skirt:  Wet Seal (Similar here)

Tunic:  Converse One Star
Tank:  Old Navy Petites (Similar here)
Creativity was forced by circumstance in that if I wanted a certain look, I had to use the limited clothing options I had available, which were often hand-me-downs that were not my personal style.  I spent hours in front of the mirror tying my ballerina wrap skirt into a shawl, using a tube belt (it was the 80s) into skirts, headbands, you name it. 

That love of playing dress-up has never really gone away.  While I don't have as much time to devote to such play, on occasion, I love to shop my closet to put together pieces in different ways than I've previously worn them.  Sometimes, these experiments create bold new outfits that I can't wait to wear out and about.  Other times, not so much...

Boots:  Fergalicious by Fergie (Available here)
Clutch:  The Limited (Available here)

Necklace:  Shoxie.com (Available here)

Today's look is the product of one of these experimental sessions.  In this case, I don't hate the outfit, but I'm not in love either.  It's probably not something that I personally would wear again, but I'm attracted to the darkness of the fabrics and how the tie-dye mixed with burgundy creates a mysterious, almost gothic feel while the shapes and floaty chiffon fabric of the top keep the overall look light.
Cuff:  Express (Similar here)
Fantasizing that the weather was actually as warm as it looks here!

What do you think?  Are you a fan of this look?  Do you like playing dress-up, and/or did you do this as a child?

For this top in other looks, see here and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!