9.19.2014

A Homecoming Look + A Review of My Pick From Altuzarra for Target

My 15-year reunion homecoming from Knox College is right around the corner.  I'm still not sure if I'll be able to make it, but with the weather getting crisp and cool, my mind is on all the activities of fall, including my college Homecoming.
Dress:  The Limited (Sold out on-line; May be available in stores)

Jacket:  The Limited (Available here)
I talked previously on the blog about how to create a slightly elevated look for a Homecoming (see here).  I've been thinking about what I would wear to any dinners, parties or evenings out that might come up with Homecoming.

This dressier look here would be just the ticket!
The printed dress, with its shades of purples and gold (my school colors), would be perfect for a Homecoming look at my alma mater.

Since it's usually quite chilly in Galesburg, Illinois by mid-October, this cognac moto jacket would help keep me warm and it could pull double duty with jeans for a football game or hanging out during the day.

Shoes:  Target
I completed the look with gold jewelry and cognac heels.
Necklace and Bracelet:  Ann Taylor (Available here and here)
Ring:  New York & Company
Earrings:  Torrid
Do you plan on attending any high school or college Homecomings this year?  What will you be wearing?

This dress is a little big on the bottom half (I usually have to buy dresses to fit my bigger top half), so I'm thinking about having it taken in for a more flattering fit.  Taking in the dress on the sides is a relatively simple alteration.

Unfortunately not everything can be altered to fit properly.

Such is the case with another recent purchase.  I tried out one of the Altuzarra for Target pieces.  If you caught my post the other day, you know how much I love this line.  It's really lovely as a whole, but this dress, in particular, caught my eye from the Look Book.  

When a second photo of this dress was posted on Target's web site this past Sunday, I noticed that the fit, construction, and quality of this dress did not seem nearly as high as the one from the Look Book.  The rest of the line looked very high quality, so I decided to go for it anyway.
Altuzarra for Target Dress
I was really excited about the dress and was hoping to wear it to the St. Louis Fashion Blog Awards.  Unfortunately, the dress just didn't work for me.  
I've seen a few reviews that said it fit small in the arms.  The arms weren't too awful for me, but it was definitely too small in the chest and back area.  The dress smashed my breasts, and the band under the bust was a bit too tight, making my tummy bulge more than normal. 
For reference, I'm normally a size 12 Petite on bottom and 16 Petite on top.  I ordered a size 16, so this appears to run quite small on top.  You'll likely have more luck with this dress if you're a size 14 or under and more pear shaped.
I also was not overly pleased with the quality and construction.  It looked better in person that what the web site photo showed, but not nearly as nice as the Look Book!  In particular, the back seaming puckered quite a bit.  The fabric seemed a step above from a cheap polyester Halloween costume.

I plan on hitting my local Target today to take a look at the pieces in person and maybe try on a few of the other pieces I have my eyes on.  Have you tried any of the looks from this line?  How did you find the fit and quality?

I'm planning a different look for the Blog Awards and hope you can join me there if you're in the St. Louis area! 


TODAY is the last day to vote for the St. Louis Fashion Blog Awards.  Style Cassentials is up for three awards, including Blog of the Year!  Check out all the bloggers of Saint Louis Fashion Week, check out the events, and cast your votes here!!  I truly appreciate your support!

3 comments:

  1. I swear you have the best shoe collection EVER! I actually think both dresses looked nice on you despite the second being a little too snug...which I didn't notice until you pointed it out and took a side profile. But we all know, if you're not comfy, don't wear it.

    Will you be selling the dress though? It's quite gorgeous.

    xo
    Eesh | The Other Side of Paradise

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, ha! Thanks! I feel like my shoe collection is lacking in the color department - I have a REALLY hard time finding shoes that fit and tend to go for basic colors that I will wear most often, especially black.

      I think if the second dress was a little looser on top, it would have been perfect. The quality wasn't 100%, but I would have made an exception due to the pretty design. It was really tight though! :-/

      Delete
    2. Oh, and I returned the dress to Target already! :-)

      Delete

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!