1.13.2015

I Resolve To...Stay True To My Style!!

Hi everyone!  Hope your week is off to a great start.  I am finishing up my style resolutions this week - a bit delayed due to health and photography issues!
Dress:  LOFT Petites (Available here)
Today, I am talking about my resolve to stay true to my personal style.  It seems like it would be easy to stay true to one's style, but sometimes I have a hard time.  I like a variety of clothes, and sometimes I get confused between fashion that I appreciate (for other people or as a style) and fashion that is really "me." 

When new arrivals come into my favorite stores, sometimes I just feel the urge to buy.  Everything is pretty and shiny and new - it seems better somehow than everything I have in my closet. 

But, in paying closer attention, I realize how often the same styles are simply re-hashed.  I don't have to go out and get something new.  I've learned that the first arrivals for spring (usually releasing now or within the next month) are usually not as desirable to me as pieces that come later. 

In recent years, I've developed a habit of only shopping from a handful of stores.  Knowing what fits my personality, lifestyle, body, and budget helps in narrowing down choices, which is good.  At the same time, I have limited myself from the opportunity to spend my fashion dollars on pieces that are really truer to my personal style.

So, as I have honed in much more to my personal style over the last year (discussed previously here), I have a better grasp on the image I'd like to present and am working on sticking to pieces that really enhance that image.

If I'm sticking to my other style resolutions, then I think staying true to my own style will be much easier!!



As I try to stick to my budget, I am working on choosing pieces that most reflect my current style and the direction I'd like to take it.  I am trying to be much more careful with my choices, choosing only pieces that I love and selecting items that help complete or round-out my wardrobe more.

Knowing what I like, and ultimately what works best for me and my lifestyle, means that I can be more satisfied with buying less.

As I try to incorporate more color into my wardrobe and to take a few more risks with fashion, I will do so with the acknowledgement that modern classics in easy silhouettes are my go-to for everyday wear.  
Blazer:  New York & Company (old)
Tights:  New York & Company
Budgeting for my fashion means figuring out more ways to re-work pieces for different types of occasions that all stay true to my personal style.  

Subtle changes to looks can give a piece a different feel.  Case in point?  The dress I'm wearing today.

I previously wore this leopard print dress with a tuxedo blazer and strappy heels for a dressy holiday party.

I played around with adding a plum blazer, but I didn't love the look (wrong cut, not quite the right shade).  I think adding a deep burgundy or another color to this dress could work really well, but I just didn't feel like I had the right pieces to make it work. 

So, I stuck with black additions, but I wanted to dress the look down for work.

Satchel:  Express
I added a black faux leather sleeve blazer, black tights, and black booties to help beat the cold.  To change the look up more, I wanted to give the dress more of the feel of a skirt.  To do this, I tied a scarf into a floppy bow-tie which covered most of my top half while wearing the blazer.

The look was layered enough to keep me warm for the cold temps, but it was bordering on being too heavy.  I'm wearing a lot of clothes and covering a lot of skin.  Pushing up the sleeves on the blazer and choosing a not-quite-opaque tight helped to lighten the look up.

If you're in warmer climates, you can lose the tights altogether.

Booties:  Target
Scarf:  LOFT
And, I actually like the look best without the blazer.  I'll have to keep this one in my memory bank as a transitional look from summer to fall.
Bracelet:  Ann Taylor
Earrings:  trendylittlepieces (Available here)


Glasses Frames:  Valentino
How do you change up similar looks?  Any tricks for getting more wear out of less versatile pieces like dresses?  Do you feel like you stay true to your style while shopping, or do you get sucked in by trends or the "pretty" and "shiny"?!
For the blazer in other looks, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!