8.18.2013

Revenge of the Nerds

Sorry that I missed this week's "Cassential Links."  I had a ton of great links ready for posting on Saturday, and I accidentally deleted them.  I will make it up with an extended version next week.

I wore this outfit with my studded ballet flats to a birthday party for my nephew, but I love the way the heels give this casual look a more sophisticated vibe. 
Jacket:  Gap (Available here)
I recently found this t-shirt on Target.com and I couldn't resist... The idea that a geek* like me could be chic is something that seemed very incongruous to me as a child.  
T-shirt:  Target (Available here)

I love that "nerd" culture has become popular in recent years - I'm hopeful that it isn't just a fad, but a move towards an expansion and shift in the larger culture towards honoring more diverse ways of being, acting, and looking. 

Obviously, the idea of being a "nerd" or "geek" is not a new social creation; however, and I hope I'm not overreaching, it seems that the stereotype of what we are like or supposed to be like is changing in a way that doesn't force people into a box in the same way.

As those often thought of as less than cool have claimed the terms, "nerd," "geek," and "dork" for themselves, these labels have become a badge of honor for many.  While nerds still often appear in popular culture in stereotypical ways (disappointingly, often in shows for children), sitcoms like "Big Bang Theory" and reality TV like "King of the Nerds," have made more realistic and relatable "geeks" a staple of mainstream culture.  

Pants:  Target (old)
Heels:  Target (Available here)
Clutch:  Target

No matter "who" you were in high school, we've probably all felt uncool at one time or another.  That feeling doesn't necessarily change after high school.  All through our lives, we are expected to conform to various groups and many of us find it difficult and/or inauthentic to do so.

I have always been a more cerebral and academic kind of girl.  I was also lower working class and dressed differently (both because of income and choice) than most of my like-minded class mates.  


I'm an overweight, petite woman who is in love with all things fashion.  I can't afford to wear high-end designers.  In many ways, I don't fit into the fashion world with which I am so obsessed.  

I'm a mother whose kids play soccer, but I don't look or act like the other "soccer moms." 

I work in a conservative, professional environment, and I have three tattoos and plan on getting at least a few more.  

I'm a feminist, and I love to wear short skirts, high heels, and paint my fingernails.
Bracelets:  Target, The Limited
I am a geek, and I am more than okay with that.  8-D

For these pants in another look, see here.

*The terms "nerd," "geek," "dork," etc. are all used interchangeably in this discussion.











No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!