9.23.2013

Pencil Me In

Many in the body acceptance movement would say flattery-schmattery, that worrying about traditional constructs of figure flattery (taller, thinner equating better) is a waste of time and that promoting such is regressive or unenlightened.

I tend to disagree with that idea somewhat.  While I generally say, wear what you want (and I sometimes wear pieces that aren't traditionally flattering to appease my fashion desires), I think most of us are drawn to what makes us look most streamlined.  Most often, the pieces that make us look taller and thinner are those that show off our bodies in the best of ways.  

Skirt:  Target Petites (Available here)
Blouse:  Ann Taylor Petites (Available here)
Blazer:  The Limited (Similar here)
Earrings:  Target
For example, pencil skirts are super flattering for most curvy women.  They show off curves while creating a streamlined silhouette.  In a pencil skirt, you're certainly not hiding fuller thighs or a fuller bottom.  You're showing them off in the best of ways!
Ankle boots:  Payless
I am especially in love with this new pencil skirt I just picked up from Target.  Because it's knit, this skirt is a little more fitted and pencil-y than I am usually able to get from other pencil skirts (even after alterations).  

I'm also in love with the on-trend midi length of this one.  I've largely moved passed the high-low look, but I have to admit, I love the way that it really adds a lengthening element to this skirt.  I manage to look taller in what I usually think of as an awkward skirt length.
Bracelet:  eBay (Similar here)
Clutch:  Vintage (eBay)
Full disclosure:  The first time I featured this skirt on my blog, I was wearing a misses size.  I had only thrown the outfit on for pics and hadn't worn it out yet.  When I realized that the skirt was available in petites on-line, I decided to give the petites version a try.  I was in between sizes on the misses skirt, had opted for the larger version, and wasn't 100% content with the fit.  The petites version in the same size provided a more streamlined fit without being too tight.  The difference between the petites and misses size was slight, and probably imperceptible to most, but it made this picky girl happier!

I'm always excited when I can wear a new item without spending time and money on alterations!

How much does figure flattery play into your fashion choices?

For this skirt in another look, see here.
For this blouse in another look, see here.
For this jacket in other looks, see here, here, and here.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!