2.11.2014

Dress Week 2: Modern Fit-and-Flare

Dress Week 2 starts today with this fun printed fit-and-flare dress.  I am looking forward to wearing this dress with sandals in the summer, but I winterized it here with a faux leather jacket and warm tights and boots.
Dress:  The Limited (Sold out on-line; may be available in stores)
Jacket:  Target (Available here)
Purse:  Target
It can be hard to wear jackets with fit-and-flare dresses.  I usually feel like I lose my shape in such styles when I add a jacket.  This peplum jacket is great because it follows the contours of my shape and the dress.

As is usually the case with my clothes, both this dress and jacket required alterations.  I've featured this jacket here on the blog already a few times (here and here).  Outside of the sleeves being too long, the overall fit was not too bad before, but I opted to have the jacket taken in under the arms and to have the sleeves slimmed a bit for a more streamlined fit.  The jacket has stretchy side panels, which make the effects of the alterations a little hard to see; however, I did notice a difference in overall fit.
I lost some of the blue fabric at the bottom of the dress; however, I actually think the block of blue is now more proportionate for my petite frame.  The blue felt a little overwhelming before, but now I quite like it.

While the dress has an oversized lace print, it looks like a modern tribal print to me, so I added a white howlite necklace and my citrine/zebra bag to keep that feeling.

Necklace:  eBay (Similar here)
Tights:  The Limited (old)
I've really been into exploring more prints lately.  I am so fickle with prints that I'm often overly cautious about purchasing printed pieces because I'm afraid I will grow tired of them too quickly.  While they don't have the staying power of solids, prints certainly make a wardrobe more interesting and fun.
Boots: Payless (old)
Do you prefer to wear solids or prints?  Are you a fan of fit-and-flare styles?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!