4.24.2013

Monochromatic Minimalism

Happy Wednesday, everyone!!

Today's black and white look was inspired by one of my favorite major fashion trends of the 90s - minimalism.  

Pants:  The Limited (Available here)
Jacket:  Forenza by The Limited (Available here)
I spent my formative fashion years, high school and college, in the 90s.  The 90s saw the height of grunge, a look I spent many years rocking.  At the time, I was quite inspired by both the street and high-fashion aspects of the grunge movement.  

Around that same time, minimalist looks began being featured by many designers.  Calvin Klein was one of the leaders in this trend and was definitely one of my favorite designers of the time.
Mid-90s Calvin Klein
Source:  www.thewickedwallflower.com
Taking 90s minimalist inspiration to 2013, I paired black skinny pants with a black and white jacket and simple grey top.
Blouse:  The Limited (Available here)
I cheated a little with my "black and white" theme by adding in touches of soft grey, but I love the overall effect of the neutrals paired together.
Clutch:  The Limited (Available here)
Ring:  The Limited (old)
To maintain the minimalist effect, I fought the urge to add a big statement necklace and kept my accessories pared down to only a pair of silver earrings and silver band.  I finished the look off with a white and pale grey clutch.  
Shoes:  Target (old)

I tend to see perfume as a bit of an accessory, often choosing my fragrance based more on what I'm wearing than specific occasion.  Today, my look inspired a few spritzes of one of my favorite fragrances, CK One.  In 1994, Calvin Klein released this zesty, unisex scent and it's been one of my regulars ever since.


Do you like the minimalist look?  What are some of your favorite fragrances?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!