10.15.2012

Tweed, Leather, and Volume

One of the big trends in outerwear this fall is volume.  Voluminous coats were shown by Jil Sander, Michael Kors, Burberry Prorsum, and many other designers.

Now, being petite and extra curvy, I had no intention of partaking in this trend.  Something that would make me appear shorter and wider?  No thank you!!


But, then I spotted this sweater jacket one day while out shopping.  I fell in love the mix of tweed patterns, the faux leather trim, and the floppy collar.

Sweater jacket:  New York & Company (Available here)
Belt:  Express Men/DIY (10+ years old)
I had to go down two sizes from my normal size (not that I'm complaining), and the jacket still seemed a bit too big; however, I also found the overall shape to be more flattering than I would have expected from a jacket with this volume.  

I added a belt to help create a little more shape.  I'd love to find some large brooches to work as closures as well.

This belt was actually a bit of a DIY creation.  I had a worn-out belt from a pair of jeans that I had since junior high.  I loved the sun buckle.  One day (over ten years ago) while out shopping at Express Men with an ex-boyfriend, I came across belts that came with separate buckles so that you could create your own design.  I chose a belt, ripped apart the old belt and added my old buckle to the new belt.  I don't wear it much now, but I still love the buckle so much that it still comes out of the drawer on occasion.
Pants:  The Limited (Available here)
Shoes:  Target (old)
Earrings:  The Limited (old) (Similar here)
I actually see a lot of possibilities for this jacket.  I plan on wearing it with slim leg pants, as I've done here, and dresses of similar lengths with tights.
Cuff:  New York & Company (5+ years old)
While admittedly, a jacket with this much volume is not the most flattering fit, finding a piece you love that gives you fashion warm fuzzies is sometimes worth it!

Besides, who wouldn't love a piece with the comfort and warmth of a Snuggie that you can actually wear to work?  :-D 
Purse:  New York & Company (Similar here)
 Would you wear the oversized outerwear trend? 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!