5.18.2014

J'Adore Denim and Stripes

Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend!  My weekend has been fairly uneventful, which is just fine by me!!  :-)

On Friday, I was off of work, and the man and I attended a reading awards ceremony for two of our daughters.  The ceremony was in the elementary school gymnasium, so it was decidedly casual, but I also wanted a look with some polish.

Jeans:  The Limited Petites
Heels:  Target (old) (Similar here)
I was in a rush to get ready, so for me this outfit was a quick and easy look.  I knew that I wanted to wear my new "J'Adorable" tee by Peter Som for Kohl's.  The rest of the outfit came together fast - first the jeans, then the heels, then the blazer for a bit of warmth on the chilly day.  
Tee:  Peter Som for Kohl's (Available here)
Silver bracelets and cuffs, a bold silver ring, and my fun pop art tote complete the look.
Bracelets and cuff (left arm):  The Limited
Ring:  Earthbound Trading Company
I did not wear any make-up during the event, and I tend to think that when rested, I look very young without make-up.  Is it okay that a friend of my ten year old step-daughter thought that I looked more like her sister than her stepmom?   LOL
When you're very short and have childlike facial features (rounded cheeks, for example), people tend to think you are younger than you are.  It used to bother me a lot as a kid and teenager. 

As an adult, looking young affects how people people see you - some doubt your competence or are less likely to value your contributions because they don't take you as seriously.  Looking young has often felt like more of a burden to me than a benefit.

Maybe because of this, I've never had a problem with aging.  As I'm starting to have more grey hairs and wrinkles, looking young doesn't seem quite as bad, but I plan to happily age gracefully.  :-)

Tote:  Ruben & Isabel Toledo for Lane Bryant
Blazer:  The Limited Black Collection (Similar here)
Have you ever been confused as younger or older than you are?  How did it make you feel?

Are you a fan of horizontal stripes?

For these jeans in another look, see here and here.
For this blazer in other looks, see here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, here, and here.

5 comments:

  1. When it comes to stripes and petites, I kind of forgot really if horizontal or vertical stripes are better for petites according to the fashion "experts." Anyhow, the striped T-shirt is cute here. Same goes for the cuffed jeans and the handbag. The blazer and peep-toe pumps are stylish. You're put together very nicely here. I only wished I did a better job self-teaching French...

    johnbmarine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. A close friend from college is my height, 5'2", but she is tiny with a high voice and she has trouble being taken seriously at work as people mistake her for an intern when they don't know her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks John! Vertical stripes are supposed to be more flattering because they are supposed to be elongating. At my height, I don't think it makes much difference, and I have decided not to care about such "rules."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Being female affects this too, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute outfit. Love those heels!

    ReplyDelete

Comments? Please post here. Remember, this is a forum for fun and fashion. Rude, vulgar, and offensive posts will be deleted. Thanks for your feedback!